Saint Michael's Episcopal Church
St. Michael's Church was founded as a summer church on its present site in 1807 by New York City residents who lived "in town" five miles to the south. What is now the northern end of the Upper West Side was then a patchwork of farms and country homes. In 1854 the second church was consecrated" a Gothic structure, built of oak.
The current church building, designed by Robert W. Gibson in a Byzantine-Romanesque style, was dedicated on December 16, 1891. Its interior is notable for its appointments by Louis Comfort Tiffany, including the impressive lancet windows in the apse which depict St. Michael's victory in heaven, and the glass mosaic reredos in the adjoining Chapel of the Angels.
- CLICK: St. Michael's Episcopal Church for images of sanctuary interior, organ design and church history.
visitingSaint Michael's Episcopal Church
225 West 99th Street
at Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025
full map & directions
MTA: NYC transit
update this page
Plan Your ExperienceTours Mailing List Signup! favorite Favorites
- Black Excellence Celebrated by the WNET Group with February Film Premiers & Streaming Opportunities
- About Harlem One Stop
- read more...