Islamic Cultural Center of New York
East Harlem (El Barrio)
ACTIVITIES OF THE CENTER
Since the opening of the Mosque in 1991, daily prayers are held regularly.
- Jum’ah Service (the weekly congregational prayer), is held every week between 12:30 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. in winter time and between 1:00 P.M. and 2.00 P.M. in summer time.
- Jum’ah also, is held in the same time in the old mosque of the Center at One Riverside Drive, at west 72nd Street.
- Tarawih Prayers (nightly prayers) during Ramadan, and Idu-Fitr and Idul-Adha prayers are held at the new Mosque.
Other services and activities of the Islamic Center presently being rendered by its Imams along with the staff, are increasing greatly with every passing day. These services and activities, besides leading daily and Jum’ah (weekly congregational) prayers, include answering religious questions that come to the Center from individuals or groups through mail, responding to queries through telephone or personal contact from Muslims and non-Muslims, attending to contacts from governmental departments, military units, prison authorities, congressmen, news media, and lawyers.
The Islamic Cultural Center was the first building erected as a mosque in New York City. It contains the two primary elements that traditionally compose an Islamic house of worship: a mosque and a minaret. Within the mosque, the mihrab, or alter niche, faces Mecca, dictating the mosque’s 29 degree angle from the Manhattan street grid. This alignment creates a traditional exterior court for worshipers to gather before services. The geometric form of the mosque, based on a recurring theme of square units, follows Islamic law, which prohibits the depiction of natural forms since they are made in the image of God. The result is a striking blend of ancient Islamic tradition and contemporary design and materials.
visitingIslamic Cultural Center of New York
1711 Third Avenue
at 97th Street
New York, NY
full map & directions
MTA: NYC transit
update this page
Plan Your ExperienceTours Mailing List Signup! favorite Favorites
- Apollo’s Comedy Club and Music Café Celebrate Women’s History Month with Special Line-up
- Black Excellence Celebrated by the WNET Group with February Film Premiers & Streaming Opportunities
- read more...